What's on your summer must-buy list?

Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Steps: evaluating your wardrobe

This year, exert all your spring cleaning energy into your closet. Don't be scared to make a mess and don't be scared to throw out a ton the first time you do it. Every year I like to absolutely destroy my closet and take stock. I pretend I'm on What Not to Wear and I try on all the items I haven't worn in the past few months. 


I think most of us fear/dread a real closet over-haul because it's hard to find a comfortable starting point. I conquer these feelings by playing dress up for the first 30 minutes. I grab the most outrageous items first; a vivid tangerine patterned cocktail dress, oversized vintage sweaters and my one day I'll lose ten pounds and look great in these jeans. None of these items have ever made it past my bedroom door and the time has come to decide whether or not they ever will. 


I ask myself the same list of questions for every item; sometimes I throw it out immediately and sometimes I go through my whole list and still feel uncertain. Once you've thrown out a few bad seeds you'll feel empowered, and maybe a little bit lighter. 


Over the next week I'm going to outline exactly how I go about this process. Start looking for a couple of your un-or rarely-worn items and follow along with me. Need some help deciding? Let us see it!


Dress to Impress, 

      tiffany 

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever checked out a site called closetviewer.com before?

    ReplyDelete